Using Candles Safely

Like most home products, candles are safe as long as you use them properly. The problem is thinking that as long as a candle doesn't fall over or come into contact with anything flammable, it is okay.

However, according to the National Candle Association ( there's more you can do to ensure candle safety.

  • Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by pets. (Cats can be particularly fascinated by the flickering light.)
  • Trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning. A long wick can cause the candle to drip.
  • Don't burn a candle all the way down. At about two inches, put the candle out.
  • Despite what you see in the movies, don't try to bravely extinguish a candle with your fingers.
  • Avoid using a candle during a power outage. Use flashlights instead.
  • Never use a candle as a night light next to your bed.

And of course, never leave a candle burning unattended. If you need to leave the room, put the candle out.


Published 11 October 14 01:57 by Mark Kozak


No Comments
Anonymous comments are disabled

This Blog